Oman’s third cement factory to start operations this year

Suhar Cement, coupled with several new cement projects coming up in Duqm Special Economic Zone, is expected to reduce Oman’s construction sector’s dependence on imported cement  

cement

The construction of Suhar Cement, Oman’s third cement mill jointly developed by Sohar Cement and UAE-based Fujairah Cement Co, is nearing completion and the plant is expected to start operations later this year. Sohar Cement has 70 per cent stake in the company, while Fujairah Cement Co owns the remaining 30 per cent.

Muscat-based Oman Cement and Salalah-based Raysut Cement are the two existing players in this vital sector, and the Sultanate is currently importing over half of its cement demand.

Suhar Cement, being developed within Phase 7 of Suhar Industrial Estate and equipped with 240-tonne per-hour grinding unit, coupled with several new cement projects coming up in Duqm Special Economic Zone, is expected to reduce Oman’s construction sector’s dependence on imported cement.

Although the plant was expected to start operations in the first quarter of 2018, the project was delayed due to the lack of power supply and paved road to the site of the plant.  However the intervention of Implementation Support and Follow-up Unit (ISFU) — a special task force of the Diwan of Royal Court, helped the company address these impediments.


Leave a Reply